Sunday 25 November 2012

Day 16 PLIF recovery

Change is slow and steady at the moment. I'm hopeful that it continues along this road.

Speaking of roads, I'm walking more and more of the streets around my home. Today I did 1 x 17 min walk and 2 x 20 min walk. 17 min gets me about 750m and 20 min about 1km. The walks are getting faster each couple of days and my stride is getting better as well. If I'm not careful and overstride a step I can feel some tightness in my sacrum and lower back - a good sign to keep taking it easy and to listen to my body. I think this is important as it will drive the speed, and ultimately the success, of the recovery rather than any arbitrary goals if speed, distance or time.

A few frustrations are kicking in. I'm sick of lying down for most of the day. I have the tv, PS3, kindle, iPhone all set up but I'm still annoyed. Managing this and my own expectations remains a challenge.

My wife has taken the last week off, it has been so great to hang out with her and to have someone to do all the little things. I'd have been screwed without her. But she goes back to work tomorrow. So my mum arrives at lunch time tomorrow to take over caring duties! Very thankful. With me being injured and my wife being 24 weeks pregnant, it will be so nice to have an extra set of hands around the house to take the pressure off.

1 comment:

  1. Carlton, how are you feeling now that it has been a year since your surgery? Are you 100% pain free? I have a L5 S1 fusion scheduled for May 20th 2014 and I am very nervous. Curious to hear how you are doing. -Dave

    ReplyDelete