Saturday 22 December 2012

6 weeks - hows it going?

So, its been a little while.

I saw the surgeon last week, who was pretty happy with how it was all going. That was reassuring. Its great to actually sit down for half an hour with an expert who has seen it hundreds of times and have all your questions answered. Very reassuring.

So how is it right now, at this moment? I'm hurting. Jeez it's aching. Its crazy. It's hard to tell if it is the bone, or if its muscular (and you can't even do the whole, bend, twist, stretch thing to check!!) I haven't done anything stupid, I'm not mowing the lawn, moving furniture, or re-tiling the roof. I've had 24 hours with absolutely zero pain killers of any kind. I think this may have been a bad idea. Will fix this tomorrow.

I'm not doing anything stupid, but I'm able to do vastly more incidental things now, I'm much more active overall during the day. I emailed the surgeon to ask his thoughts on this. Naturally, my thoughts go to all the bad places on this - the spacers have moved, the screws have come loose, I have to go have the surgery again to fix it, ruining my time frame for recovery.

It was again reassuring to have the surgeon give a calm, considered response on this. He said is common for a bit more pain around this time, as people generally become more active. That, coupled with the decrease in pain killers will do it. The advice, very unlikely its anything bad, most recent X-rays look good. Scale back the activity for a day or two and see how it goes. By all means, see my local doc, and get some X-rays to check, see a physio, but it should be fine. It was enough to calm me down.

That said the pain is still there. Its different from the pre-surgery pain, but it hurts like hell. I'm glad I have another 2 weeks before I go back to work part time. The last thing I would want to be doing is rushing back before its too soon and jeopardising the recovery.

I think its a good stage for reflection on this.. Its six fix since I had major surgery. I couldn't dress myself, get food, or do anything for a while there. I needed help for everything. Now I can do these things. Its important to manage my expectations and have a reality check on this. Yes, I'm in pain (for a good reason, I had surgery and they drilled 4 screws into my vertebrae!!) but I'm in different pain. Also, I find taking a macro look at things help. Don't focus or over analyse the day to day stuff. Compare today with a week ago, what about the week before, or last month? Hell, I'm heaps better, much improved, more mobile. Sure, I've had some new pain kick in, but its a reminder that I need to pay attention to my body and how it recovers. That I will always have to be conscious of this. This new pain, I'll manage that, I'll get through that too.

5 comments:

  1. Fordy,

    I'm very happy to see that it's all still on track for a proper recovery.

    I am also glad to see that you have not lost the positive outlook you went in with. As we discussed beforehand, you thought that would be one of the most important things in the recovery stage, and it seems that you're still able to take a step back and see the distance you have traveled.

    Great work so far, and keep it up.

    Regards,

    Jarrod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Cheers for all the messages. Glad to see your doing alright too.

      Delete
  2. Thank-you so much for this blog. I am due a (PLIF) L5-S1 fusion by keyhole in just three weeks and my medical staff have been very close-mouthed on what to expect in terms of coping afterwards (I live alone). Was your surgery 'open' or 'keyhole'?

    Regards, Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona,

      Sorry to hear you're in pain and need the surgery too. Not nice, but I can thoroughly say I'm happy with the outcome so far.

      My surgery was never described as either. I think open would describe it. A key hole operation to me would be more TLIF than PLIF, but I could be wrong.

      I'll throw up another post to answer your question too, but in a snap shot. I reckon it would be challenging on your own. I understand the medical team being cautious, everyone is different, and playing around nerves and spinal cord is always slightly different for everyone.

      An early recovery timeline for me:
      1st week - in hospital, after 3 days, could shower/shave myself
      2nd week - at home, needed my wife to 95% of stuff. no chance of cooking, cleaning etc
      3rd week - my mum came up to look after me. similar to week 2 but was getting more mobile.
      4th week - home alone, my wife came home on her lunch breaks to check in on me.

      I did a fair bit of preparation prior to the surgery. e.g getting books, moving a tv and playstation into my room. I bought an extendible claw/reacher thing (worth its wait in gold)

      The restrictions of no bending, lifting over 5kgs, no twisting etc really limit what you can do. For example, getting saucepans from the bottom draw in the kitchen - out of the question. Its all those little things that add up.

      At the 8 week mark now I'm getting much more active, but am still cautious.

      Very happy to answer any of your questions and thanks for the comment

      Delete
  3. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Center.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp ... +2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Prostate
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    ,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases
    Hepatitis,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Tach Disease,Shingles,
    Lung Cancer, Leukemia Lymphoma Cancer,
    Lung Mesothelioma Asbestos,
    Ovarian Cervical Uterine Cancer,
    Skin Cancer, Brain Tumor,
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete