Thursday 6 December 2012

PLIF Recovery - 4 weeks

Today is exactly four weeks since the surgery. A pretty big milestone.

How is it going? Pretty good I think.Yesterday I managed a total of 2 hours walking around, covering 7km. I'm starting to test my tolerance for sitting. This is something the doctors haven't excluded, more me being super cautious over the last few weeks. I've finished all the drugs I was prescribed too.

I'm getting a little bit of jarring type pain when I walk (only on uneven ground, or if the foot path drops out from under me unexpectedly). It's only on the right hand side, it feels a little more muscular than bone or joint. Nonetheless it is something I'm worried about - have I been doing to much, did I do something stupid to set it off, or is it just because of the drugs wearing off?

I'm very keen for the X-rays on Monday and to see the surgeon on Wednesday. I really want to see if anything has moved, how the fusion is coming along, and check in with all the medical milestones again.

The biggest thing for the moment though is managing the frustrations. I've had a few cranky moments over the last week. I've struggled with these, but am working through them ok. These are simple frustrations, like I'm sick of lying down, I'm sick of not being able to contribute, I'm sick of doing nothing. It's not like I want to going mountain climbing, kayaking, play rugby or take up MMA, its just that I'd like to be able to put my socks on myself, I wish I could take the garbage out. I wish I could reach the bottom cupboard with the dish washing liquid so I could wash up. These are the frustrations I have.

I have my computer, a playstation, TV, books, a Kindle and an iPhone, all to keep me busy, but still, I'm bored. I want the stimuli of work, of engaging conversation, new challenges. None of which I can get while being on my own.

I'm glad I knew these frustrations would be coming, the insights gained from my last surgery have been invaluable and have allowed me to develop coping mechanisms. If you had this surgery with no preparation, it would be really hard. I think you'd struggle with your own expectations on recovery time, and what you could do and what you wanted to do. For anyone about to have this surgery, please, make yourself aware of this and put plans in place.

I find if I'm frustrated for a day it helps to keep the bigger picture in mind. I think back to last week, how mobile was I then compared to now, what about the week before, and the week before? In bigger chunks the progress is noticeable, if not day by day

2 comments:

  1. Its been 6 weeks since my surgery. I'm experiencing bad leg cramps in my right leg. The cramps sometime happen during walking. They are painful and happens frequently. I have stairs in my home. It'easier to go down the stairs. I find it harder to climb up the stairs.In the morning sometimes the pain is so bad because I missed like 2 dose's of medication during the night and it is hard to stand during the am.I'm scudueled to take pain medication every 4 hours. I try to space my medication every 6 hours. Sometimes the pain is so bad if I wait 6 hours for medication. Im' affraid of becoming addicted to my pain medication so I suffer sometimes.I do not know what I should do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Center.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp ... +2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Prostate
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    ,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases
    Hepatitis,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Tach Disease,Shingles,
    Lung Cancer, Leukemia Lymphoma Cancer,
    Lung Mesothelioma Asbestos,
    Ovarian Cervical Uterine Cancer,
    Skin Cancer, Brain Tumor,
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete