Friday 26 October 2012

2011 - Microdiscectomy

The pain was unbearable. It wouldn't go away. I couldn't sleep, I was tired, cranky and irritable.
After a long talk with the neurosurgeon it was decided to go for the less serious microdiscetomy. Fusion was discussed as being possible in the future, but for now, we decided to go for the microdiscectomy. This was based on numerous things, probably the most of which was the severity of the leg pain I was suffering in comparison to back pain

For info try
http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/microdiscectomy-microdecompression-spine-surgery

Or for an animated version of the surgery try this one
http://www.spine-health.com/video/microdiscectomy-lumbar-microdecompression-spine-surgery-video

I underwent the surgery in April 2011. I took 4 weeks off work and then came back under a graded return to work program (i.e. 3 days at 3 hours, 3 days at 6 hours, 3 full days, then 4 full days, leadign to 5 full days - over about a 10 week period).

It was a huge success. The first 7-10 days were hell. I could hardly move. If it wasn't for my wife looking after me I would have been screwed. I walked 3 times a day - it took me 12 minutes to walk my drive way the first time I tried. Each day I went a little further and a little faster.

I managed to get back to the sports I loved, could go the gym. I took up scuba diving. It was great. It was the best my back had been in 10 years. The leg pain was completely gone too.

No comments:

Post a Comment