Sunday 4 November 2012

L5-S1 Posterior Fusion - facts

Only 5 days out now.

For those that don't know what surgery I'm about to have I'll spell out a few of the basics in this post.

Animated video of what the operation does:
http://www.spine-health.com/video/posterior-lumbar-interbody-fusion-plif-video


The big choice seems to be anterior (through the front) or posterior (from the back) fusion or disc replacement. There are advantages and disadvantage for each - whether its access to the disc, less moving of the spinal cord. Anterior vs Posterior has the added risk of injury to the bowel, ureter and for men - the lovely topic of retrograde ejaculation (no more babies!!)

Risks for PLIF fusion:

  1. Non-union
  2. Damage to the spinal cord or nerve roots 
  3. Infection
  4. Bleeding
  5. Continued pain 
  6. Adjacent disc disease 
  7. Injury to the vertebral artery 
  8. Blood clots 
  9. Stroke 
  10. Paralysis 
  11. Bowel or bladder incontinence 
  12. Death 
In discussing all this with my neurosurgeon, I decided for posterior fusion. I wasn't comfortable with the risks with anterior or disc replacement. Also I have a work college who had the procedure in March and after 6 months is doing great, something which encouraged me greatly.

The chance of it working according to medical journals is >70%.
A lot of journals focus on things like the pedicle screws loosening, or the adjecent disc disease (where the problem moves up a level).

The basic philosophy I am using to accept the treatment is:


  1. Ongoing conservative treatment - tried this for over 10 years.
  2. Discectomy and S1 nerve root decompression - the least invasive surgery.
  3. L5/S1 fusion - permanent, last resort.
  4. Life long maintenance of my condition - I will always be conscious of my back, I'll always be doing things to keep it healthy and functioning well.


15 comments:

  1. Diagnosing the source of your lower back pain typically involves a process of elimination. To help you better communicate with your doctor, we are there to provide a step-by-step explanation of this process

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Know More Info Check Our Website: dog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete