Thursday 8 November 2012

The night before PLIF surgery

Travelled to Sydney ok Hospital admin went ok. I've got my own room, so can't complain,

Out the front of RNSH

View from room
Nervous

Met neurosurgeon, discussed risks, outcomes, recovery, strategy for the operation. Going to be using the InterFuse system.http://www.vti-spine.com/interfuse.html The animation here shows how its done. (I really need to figure out how I embed videos that aren't on youtube!). Found good studies on this method, the one the maker has on there website is 97% successful fusions, at six months, from104 patients.The question remains though with fusions, will this take my pain away?

Anxious 

Met anaesthetist. All sorted for the day to. That must be a cool  job to knock people out eveyday.

Worried

I've been bumped down from early morning to the afternoon. A couple of brain tumour patients are ahead of me. I know I'm in pain, but seriously, they can go first.

From surgery to ICU overnight to keep an eye on everything, then out to the normal ward. All going to plan, a few days there, and then into the rehab section.

Second guessing myself? No. I'm in pain, have been for a decade, I'm over it. Lets focus on the recovery. I have a great support network around me - from wife, family, friends, co-workers, to surgeon, sports doc, physio, rehab. I will be drawing on this as much as I can. Thank you everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment